Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Father John Misty - Oxford Art Factory (27/7/2012)







Let it be known that FJM (J. Tillman) loves to shake his tush.


Fact is, he cavorts and loosens up like a shaman possessed.





When I saw someone in the audience approach J. for an autograph during the night's first support act (Melodie Nelson), I knew it was a case of now or never - Dashed across the road, got myself a marker, headed back, purchased a vinyl copy of Fear Fun (When I already own the CD) and a T-shirt, all in time to catch the second support act, Mosman Alder. 
This is, after all, my favourite album of the year so far.  Count me a fanboy.




When the band opened with Fun Times in Babylon, we knew we were in for a special night. 
Jeff Frattiti (Sp?) dressed in polka dot pullover and spacey spandex, looking like a drag Cobain gone wrong, immediately challenged us visually and it was clear we weren't in Kansas anymore.
He was especially animated during Hollywood Forever Centery Sings and gestured his bass as a shovel to the lyrics' "someone's got to help me dig" .

The set consisted the entire album, only O I Long to Feel Your Arms Around Me was left out. Arrangements deviated little from that on the album; bar the extra howl and extended wig-out jam & feedback frenzy.  The band (Same lineup as that on the KEXP clip below) sounded great live. 
Highlights for me were Only Son of the Ladies' Man, Nancy from Now On and Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings

It was hilarious when Misty got foggy and forgot the beginning lyrics to Now I'm Learning to Love the War and ad-libbed on the spot.



Thank you, thank you, thank you for a night of blissful, joyous music.









No comments:

Post a Comment